People in churches today are hungry for a word from God. Preachers need to prepare and deliver sound biblical sermons that connect with their audience in a meaningful way. Whether you are a student who is new to preaching or a veteran looking to brush up your preaching skills, you will benefit from Preaching God's Word.
Good preaching begins with good exegesis. The second edition of Preaching God's Word is a user-friendly, practical, and proven textbook that walks you through the five steps of the "Interpretive Journey" from the biblical text to contemporary application:
• Grasp the text in their town (what it meant to the original audience).
• Measure the width of the river that separates the biblical context from today.
• Cross the principle bridge by identifying the timeless theological principles.
• Consult the biblical map.
• Grasp the text in our town.
While the science of solid biblical interpretation is essential to effective preaching, it must be married to the art of contemporary communication in order to bring the message home. Preaching God's Word also shows you how to understand your audience, develop powerful applications, use illustrations well, and deliver the sermon effectively. The concluding chapters discuss the unique preaching challenges presented by the various biblical genres, providing interpretive keys, things to avoid, and numerous examples.